10-26-2020, 01:22 PM   #6
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmnelson12 View Post
Clutch delay valve. Every manual transmission BMW has one, and yes including this one. Do a forum and google search, and if you are mechanically able, it takes about an hour. Took one out of my E93, made a world of difference. This one took a little more effort, but guess what? It made a world of difference in first and second gear. I have only driven manual cars for over 20 years and it still has me at a loss of words why BMW still uses a clutch delay valve. For everyone that says deal with it and be a better manual driver, they have obviously never experienced the car without the CDV and how a manual should actually feel in 1st and 2nd. (CDV slows the operation of the clutch engagement and was designed to protect the clutch from engaging too quickly and possibly wearing it out).
Is that what it is? I've never owned a car where the clutch lags behind like my F80. It's annoying as fuck, but it does smoothen out the clutch in stop and go traffic.

When I drive any manual, it's either clutch in or out. No bs playing around. I've been driving manual for 37 years and I've only had to replace one clutch, and that was on the first car I ever owned with a manual when I was 17.

To the OP. Once you get moving, get off the clutch pedal as fast as you can and give it gas once the pedal is all the way out. Get a feel where it bites and that's when you can give more gas. After a while it takes no thinking about it.