View Single Post
      10-26-2020, 01:41 PM   #12
spennycc
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Heritage edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Congrats on the car and thank you for helping us save the manual.

Kinda difficult to imagine in my head as to what you're exactly doing, but it seems that you are riding the clutch way too much if you're not getting off the line very quickly. Holding the clutch just right before & at the biting point while adding more and more throttle is how you burn your clutch.

May I advise you to go to a flat parking lot with lots of space. There, take your foot off the throttle, put it in first, and just use the clutch to move off the line. The engine will add a couple hundred revs to help you out. Be slow and careful with your left foot as you have to ride that biting point for quite a bit not to stall. What's this gonna help you with is finding the dead spot in the clutch travel, the biting point and learning how to stay in it. Also, this is great for stop-and-go traffic. Car will drive a few miles an hour while in gear near idle no problem.

You will later realise that you unconsciously just ignore the dead spot altogether and move your foot to the very end of the dead stop where the clutch is beginning to grab while applying the right amount of throttle for the given situation. Under no circumstance reduce throttle while staying on the clutch - just clutch in instead.

Put simply, the faster you want to start, the more throttle and "less" clutch you gotta use.

It took me a few days to get the hang of it as this car's powertrain does not behave the same as other BMWs I have driven; however, it is easy to learn ESPECIALLY with auto rev match on. Difficult to master, though. Gets tricky once you're up in the revs trying to swiftly row through the first three gears - couple threads on that already.

Thank you for the detailed write up!

I have gone and done the practice in the parking lot of going without the gas, and getting out of my parking garage has made this a daily habit so I have going " slow " down.

My real issue is trying to go quickly, I tend to either stall or wheel spin ( not launching per say but just a quick go. )
Appreciate 0