CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
You are getting clunking because you did not pry the backing plate off your stock pads. without the backing plate you will have "play" in the caliper... Order new backing plates and your clunk should go away.

For anyone reading this thread and thinking about buying RS29, save your money. These are literally street pads that aren't even as good as stock pads. Per Pagid (http://www.pagidracing.com/files/Pub...ights_2018.pdf), these pads have a friction coefficient rating of .4-.45 Mu. That makes them an FF rated pad. My stock pads were rated GF which means they have MORE cold bit than these Pagids and they give nothing away at 600f which is where most cars will be at during HPDE. BMW's factory pads are a performance pad and most of the moderate aftermarket pads out there are a downgrade! I highly doubt anyone in this thread is actually "racing" either to require 3000f "race" pads. 99% of cars I see with race pads are screeching around the track eating rotors because the pads are too cold.

Since the comparison is to PFC-08, I will add that they are without a doubt a higher friction true "endurance race pad" compared to the Pagid RSL29's. The PFC-08 will screech a bit when cold (<50f) but they actually have decent cold bite for street use. The flat torque curve of the PFC-08 is a characteristic of an endurance branded pad vs a "peaky" "race/sprint/rally" pad. Also, all pads drag on the rotor at all times. There is no true "retractive" force to pull the pads away from the rotor. PFC-08 make more noise especially when new with "tall" pads. After a good rain they make a ton of noise as the pads actually rust really easily.

If you want to go with a comparable Pagid pad to PFC-08 you should be looking at something like the RSL1 and not the street pads like RSL29's. RSL29 would be more on par with being called a OE replacement pad. Genuine BMW pads will cost you about the same but OEM branded pads will be significantly cheaper replacements.
A lot of misinformation in this post.

Clunking is normal with track pads as they are designed to fit loosly inside the caliper when cold to ensure they remain free to move in extreme hot operating conditions. There's nothing that needs to be "pried off".

I will completely wear down a front stock set of pads in less than one track day while the Pagid RSL-29 will last me 4-5 days. Further, the stock pad needs a fair bit more management than the RSL-29 to avoid uneven pad deposit. That's from experience. So I am not sure on what your above statement is based on.

The stock pads are inadequate for track use, it's even specified in the M3/4 owner's manual. Further, I remember reading that BMW's own upgrade M-Performance brake pad recommended by BMW for track use is made by Pagid and is very similar to the RSL-29.

The RSL-1 are not that different than the RSL-1, I usually run a combination of RSL-29 in front with RSL-1 in the rear which improves stability under braking with slightly more rear bias. The RSL-1 will offer better initial bite at the expense of faster wear with the PF08 fitting somewhere in between. The RSL-29 offer sufficient hot friction to maximize braking with street and r-compound tires. They however might not with race slicks.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-18-2019 at 06:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
Bosozoku693.50