07-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #69
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmtl_135i
Not to hijack the thread but there is also something very interesting in this interview:

MT: What about below the M3 and M4?
FN: Theres no decision yet. But I absolutely want to develop a successor model to the 1 Series M Coupe. I have all the components I need the powertrain, chassis. In the near future you will know. We cant call it the M1, because that number is for the special mid-engined car, but there is M2, isnt there?

MT: What about a four-cylinder M car?
FN: Not in the near future. But its possible. Our engines are modular.

So he kind of confirms the M2, and he seems to confirm that it won't be a 4 cylinders.
I hate to be a Debbie Downer on this, but I don't think this is at all a clear cut answer on the M2 being a six cylinder.

There are no current plans "in the near future" for an ///M four cylinder engine, but he also said they haven't made any decision on the M2 either. Sounds like they are very early in the M2 planning process, and anything could change.

In my mind, this is a wash, and we haven't learned anything new about the M2's potential engine (in fact, the ONLY thing we've really learned about the M2 from this is that ///M hasn't even made a decision on it yet).
Appreciate 0