11-12-2019, 01:47 PM   #1
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Ohlins R/T Advice Needed

I've posted this thread in the M2 section originally but thought might as well post here too.

I've been running Ohlins R/T on my M2C for about a year now and I'm still confused by couple things in the instructions manual. Additionally, I'm also still experiencing some issues with the ride comfort.

Firstly, I want to ask how the rear ride height is adjusted. According to the image below, the height adjuster is on the strut and spring perch is only for preload:

However, my shop during the install kept telling me that the only way to adjust the ride height was to play with the spring perch. I didn't initially believe it as it contradicts with the manual. However, Brian from Ohlins replied to my email in a similar way:

"The static ride height must be set using the spring adjuster as the shop has performed. Preload, for this situation, is set by the shock length as the shock is what’s maintaining tension on the spring while in full droop.

The height adjuster is not on the shock body. The height adjuster is the spring preload adjuster in this case.

An example of this being true is if you lengthened the shock via the lower gold cup. This would not affect the static height of the car – it would only reduce bump travel of the damper and reduce tension on the spring while in full droop.
"

If the spring perch is the height adjuster in this case, what does the "height adjuster" on the strut do? Really confused about this issue and it's driving me crazy. In my opinion, installation instructions provided by Ohlins aren't clear at all.

Another thing is the ride quality... I have their recommended spring rates (90 front and 190 rear). Even though they phenomenal at the track, I find the rear to be extremely stiff for street use. I tried using different stiffness (15 to 20 clicks) and still very bouncy/jumpy on bumpy roads. I just someone's comment on how to describe the situation so I'll use the same words... Even on highway, at certain dips or bumps, it launches me out of my seat and I'm not exaggerating. If it's this uncomfortable for the driver, it's usually significantly worse for the passenger. I definitely wouldn't wanna be a rear passenger in my car. I wanted to post about this issue because I have read so many posts on how much better Ohlins is than the stock suspension when it comes to ride quality. Maybe I should switch to 70/160 spring rates.

Anyone else experienced similar problems with Ohlins or does anyone have any recommendations?
Appreciate 2