06-09-2015, 02:26 PM   #269
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inprogress View Post
Are there any negatives/downsides to doing the MSDs to lower the MF? I understand the benefits, but are there any drawbacks? One of the dealers in Texas actually suggested against doing them, he said

"And yes they do give you the money back at the end, but they also have a lot of leverage over lease-end charges like excessive wear-and-tear for example. They are holding several thousand of your dollars hostage, and can use that against you to pay for any damage to the car."

Should I be worried about the above statement? I understand if the car needs a lot of repairs and i don't get them done then they would take the MSDs but do they abuse the fact that I have MSDs and take advantage of them? This is my first lease, so I want to make sure I know what i'm doing.

In addition to guarnibl 's correct statement, BMW is fairly straight forward with their lease end expectations. They have a video on BMWUSA.com going over what's covered and what's not. I also rarely see many complaints about lease turn in conflicts. The biggest issue is usually about putting the right tires on the car. Many times a car comes with RFTs and are turned in with non-RFLTs. You just have to pay attention to the OEM tire.