10-17-2021, 03:00 PM   #10
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuss View Post
So the one you ordered from fcp was defective ?
Well, as I replaced it again yesterday with the second part from them I found that the vent hose was cracked. So I think one of two things happened:

1) The squealing can be caused by a bad PCV or a bad vent hose. I cut open my original valve cover and confirmed that the original PCV's membrane was damaged so this seems to be the less likely option.

2) A bad vent hose causes a condition which can very quickly damage the PCV which then goes on to cause the typical squealing.

So I can't say for sure at this point if I got unlucky with a defective valve cover out of the box, if it was good but was almost immediately damaged because of not getting the correct vacuum from the vent hose, or if it's even now still in working condition and the hose alone caused the squeal after my first replacement. I found the damaged hose after I installed the new replacement valve cover so I can't just swap on the new hose to see if that eliminates the squeal and I'm not going to cut open the part I'm returning so I can't confirm any damage there.

My advice would be if you're replacing the valve cover anyway, replace that vent hose (part number 11127850244) as well. Besides the break the entire thing was pretty brittle; you just couldn't see any of that under the insulated sleeve.
Appreciate 0