02-13-2014, 05:20 PM   #73
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Well a lot of people are using spacers for their winter setup where they already have a set of good wheels and don't like WASTING money, weight and friction isn't a big issue when driving in the winter. it doesn't matter if you can "afford" a $62K car, it is stupid to spend money if you don't need to. We have obamacare taxes on capital gains because of that logic (if you make lots of money and have enough to invest in stocks, then whats another 3.8% tax to pay for other people's health insurance, you can afford it...).

That, plus people like to achieve a certain look, and most manufacturers that don't make custom wheels only produce wheels in a limited number of sizes/offsets. BBS, for example, only made limited offsets for the 19" LM; 2 for the front and one for the rear if I remember correctly. Using a spacer was the only way to achieve a specific look because even the most aggressive rear wheel offset offered was too inset on an E46/E9X M3 (..at least for my taste; I wanted a flush look). I know people who track religiously and use spacers. No harm, no foul!
Appreciate 0