Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
The SONOS app interface is far better than any AV receiver app.

Putting a SONOS Play1 outside is definitely not recommended by SONOS. It may work, but be aware that you're coloring outside the lines.

I usually recommend utilizing a mono signal for outdoor audio installations (if possible). Because you're not usually even remotely centrally located between the speakers, and usually relatively far from the speakers, stereo separation can do more harm than good. Even if you were to use multiple Play1s, I'd still keep them as individual units rather than pairing them up.

Someone has already mentioned this, but I'd suggest a SONOS ConnectAmp with a pair or two of outdoor speakers.
Maybe you've noticed that I always colour outside the lines. Not like the Marines whom I've recently learned eat their crayons. I did it with the Play 1's because they are humidity protected for use in bathrooms. Like i've mentioned earlier, I've had them outside with zero issues. Thy are tucked up under the eve's really tight as the pics illustrate. I have them about 10 feet apart and get great stereo separation. YMMV
My OPINION on running multiple speakers in mono being a better option in MOST outdoor installations is because the stereo separation can often work against you. For stereo to work properly you should be equidistant to both speakers. Often times in outdoor installations stereo imaging is low on the priority list. Usually you just want to fill the space evenly, and achieve a pleasant frequency balance while providing enough output. Many times listeners will be very close to one speaker, and very far from the other. If you're using a stereo signal, instruments and vocalists panned hard to one channel can become inaudible, totally messing up the experience.

All this being said, if there's a relatively confined listening area, and you can achieve proper speaker positioning, then of course I'd run a stereo signal.

I don't want to digress too much, but this same theory of running mono also applies to in-ceiling speaker locations in common distributed "whole home" audio systems. Usually the speakers are placed in relation to lighting fixtures, and not listening positions. For this same reason mono is often a better choice.

BTW... While this is my opinion; it is coming from a person with a degree in audio engineering, and decades of experience designing, installing, and tuning audio (and video) systems.