View Single Post
      01-04-2020, 10:45 AM   #48
Tintking
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP AY convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXiMUS View Post
I think you're missing the point of my response, I'm trying to convey that the reason past manual M3's were highly sought after was due to their high revving nature. Wringing out a naturally aspirated motor to 8k and hearing it sing while manually choosing your own gears is a much more visceral/fun experience compared to the F8x with the 6MT. The 6MT experience in the F8x is a rather dull one, in my opinion, there really isn't any drama or excitement to be had which to me is the main selling point of rowing your own gears. I still stand by my opinion that the F8x with it's turbocharged 6 is best suited with a DCT just like the GT-R.

As far as the S55 not feeling naturally aspirated, out of all the turbo cars I've driven, yes GTR included, the W205 C63 S and the F8x DCT are the two closest to feeling naturally aspirated to me. Sure they'll never have the "instant" response when you jab the throttle but they sure come real close. Driving the 6MT F8x definitely feels more like a turbo car to me. Chris Harris also commented once the F80 M3 DCT feels naturally aspirated and he's driven pretty much every high-performance car, N/A or Forced Fed so take that for what it's worth.

I also don't find the S65 in my E92 to have a narrow powerband, sure it doesn't really get moving till past 4k but you could short shift it and still land in a pretty meaty part of the power curve. A narrow powerband to me would be an S2000, or any Honda B series motor or Toyota 2ZZ where once you don't time your shift perfectly at redline you'll fall out of the high lift lobe and it feels like an eternity to pick up again.
Agree with this. With the responsiveness and torque of the M4 it feels more like an American V8 to me.
Appreciate 0