View Single Post
      08-20-2018, 03:43 PM   #88
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
In my opinion, the tech alone is the only really interesting thing about these cars.

Reason: Although this thread has more or less degenerated into drag racing advantages, the acceleration capability of Tesla vehicles is a fleeting and ethereal thing. Once you leave your driveway, the car is slowing down. Little by little at first, but then more and more as the battery depletes. Lunging off the line will always be cool (and that's how nine out of ten street drag races begin and end), but that one-trick coolness will begin to pale after several off the line lunges begin to measurably run the battery down - and you start worrying whether you're going to make it home.

Other coolnesses (like the lunges are essentially without the drama that attracts the gendarmes) are neat, but essentially noiseless acceleration robs the driver of the thrilling run to red line in M and AMG cars that are so much a part of the fun.

Hey, Tesla has made a major step forward here, but good-to-the-last-drop gasoline still rules, as your car actually gets a little quicker as you empty the tank.

Yup, they're cheaper to run, but the major disadvantages just outlined mean they've got quite a long way to go.

Bruce
Bruce, just curious, what's your experience level with EVs? Your post reminds me of what I used to think, before I commuted daily in an EV.
Appreciate 0