Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
Not good

Couple of thoughts on that from my perspective:

1) Odd that the "instructor" was driving in MDM?

2) Obviously this is an example where MDM doesn't save you
That's my mistake. I left the car in MDM when I gave it to him . He wasn't familiar with the car or any of the modes. Although I generally like to drive the car in MDM. Not sure how big of difference this makes but I have the GTS MDM coded in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
3) Although an M3/4 is not the easiest first track car to learn on (I'd prefer a Miata of E30/36 for a new track driver) , I still think the best time to turn off all the nannies is when you're first starting out in your track hobby. Go slow, but you need to get comfortable with the car sliding and correcting it at some point. Be selective on which areas of the track you push to the car to sliding. For example, go 7/10ths on that high speed sweeper, but push it 10/10ths in a lower speed carousel with lots of run off.

4) You ARE going to have some offs as you're learning and beyond. You have to accept it. You just hope it doesn't cause too much damage (or be caused by an instructor driving your car, lol!).
You're right, I think I just need to take it slow and just practice driving the car with all the nannies off. It'll be nice to see what the car does when its at its "limit". I drove my last event in MDM and I absolutely loved how controllable the car was. The car would kick out a little bit once in a while but it was really easy to reel it back in and it never felt scary (again, not sure how much of this was MDM saving my butt lol)
MaynardZed1231.00