s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patronus86
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd View Post
I agree with the cost of running the car being high but it is still the same car.
The gt3 rs and the gt3 cup car are not the same....which is why the cup car costs over $100K more than the street version. It's not simply operating costs. They may resemble each other, but I guarantee everything from the suspension and engine tuning to the tires, engine components, brake and body panels are designed for specifically for the circuit.

Quote:
There is no way you can convert the customer M3 to a DTM machine and compete no matter how much you spend. The GT3 like the Evo and STi are homologated race cars detuned for the street which at a price you can race them where the M3 is not.
The GT3 is not simply a "detuned" version of the cup car. That's way too much of an understatement. And the M3 is in fact converted into a racing machine...a lot of parts get swapped out for sure, but the car is fundamentally based on the design/package/and engine type of the street legal M3. But just like the GT3 Cup car, the M3 race version is a still a different beast from the retail version.

Quote:
Value is value. The M1 is not in the same league as a GT3 but in terms of value you're getting the same with those two cars. We can argue till hell freezes over but in the end I think we can agree, M cars such as the M5 as you mentioned are no longer special and the brand is being diluted for profit
I'll stop bringing up the value issue because you aren't seeing my point. The M5 is a decent enough car, but not anything special, and I never said it was. My original post referred to the M3 and M6. I do think they are special cars, especially for their cost.

The M brand being diluted...well they still race versions of the M3 on the pro circuit. And we'll have to give the M4 a chance to breath before we pass judgement on its "racing legs."

I think you need to take your porsche hat off from time to time...and be honest with yourself and the rest of this forum when discussing that brand.
I'm not wearing a Porsche hat. Just being a consumer. The 997 GT3 has the same motor (GT1) and chassis as the cup car. That is a fact. Of course they will drive differently but facts are facts. The DNA is there good and bad. That was the case with the first M3 and the Evo and STi. If I was wearing a Porsche hat, I wouldn't buy any BMW M cars. They have their pros. But value is not one of them to me. Most here have agreed to that which is the whole point of the thread
Appreciate 0