View Single Post
      08-31-2020, 08:38 PM   #42
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
This was my approach and philosophy. I put $ in reserve, but assumed nothing would happen with a stage 1, no track time, and no kick downs, but then something did happen. I personally would recommend tuning, but knowing this issue exists, it's up to you to decide if you can afford it if something happens, and BMW doesn't want to goodwill your SCH.

Remember, just the crank hub itself is one thing, but if you get contact in a cylinder, or similar damage, you're looking at an engine rebuild/replace, not just a crankhub replacement (a stock crankhub, no less). Even removing your tune, BMW is going to know the kind of boost you've been putting down, and may or may not play along. It could be a few $grand, or you could be forced to buy out your lease.

Think of it this way: running a tune has risks. If you're okay with them, do it. I was. I tuned all of my owned and leased BMWs with stage 1 piggybacks. I remember my CA actually *recommending* I tune my F31 when I took delivery. But remember one of the risks is your dealer deciding not to warranty the work if you run into problems. I have nothing against BMWNA or any dealer. They've always treated me very well, but when it comes to major damage, they will definitely push back, and you could run out of luck. You'll be taking as much risk as you did with your crank hub.

I say tune it without upgrading the CH, but keep some $ lying around.

I was hoping to see if BMW would have replace your engine under warranty. I guess we will never know now.