10-13-2019, 08:24 AM   #14
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyy View Post
Switching to any iron rotor will be a big improvement over the ceramics. The carbon ceramics are marketed as a performance or track brake setup but it really is not. Brembo makes CCM (which is what comes on many production cars) and then CCMR which is a rotor that is actually designed for track use. They also have carbon-carbon which is what is used on race cars (not suitable for the street). Carbon ceramic (CCM) rotors takes 2 weeks to be produced. CCMR rotors take 2 months to be produced. To put it simply, carbon ceramics are for aesthetics.

In my personal opinion, it does not matter which BBK you get as long as it is from Brembo, AP Racing, PFC, Alcon, Endless, or Project Mu. The brake boosters in our cars numb out much of the pedal feel. The Alcon kit has really impressed me in terms of how friendly it is on the street. The brakes do not squeal at all even with racing brake pads, however, getting pads can sometimes be a pain. Pagid pads have been on back order and all PFC pads need to be modified (have the edges cut on a mill). On track, the brakes are also fantastic. They can take a massive amount of heat. We have run nonstop for 30 minutes threshold braking every time with no brake ducts and we never got any fade. We might be making a brake kit using PFC calipers and rotors so stay tuned for that.
This is what I was most interested in. Contemplating bouncing to a steel setup after I'm through my first set of pads. But have found the stock system faultless, so a bit hesitant.

You did run the stock ceramics and prefer the Alcon system? I know unlikely, but any perception of unsprung weight increase?

Appreciate 0