View Single Post
      10-21-2020, 03:03 AM   #7
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoale View Post
I have a 2016 F80 w/ DCT and a passive suspension. I've felt a bit restless lately and have considered an M2, an F80 w/ a stick and adaptive suspension, or revisiting some past favorites.

Today I test drove a 2018 F80 with stick, adaptive suspension, and 18" wheels. I also test drove a new M2 comp.

First the F80. The F80 with adaptive suspension and 18" wheels drove significantly more compliant than my F80 with passive suspension and 19" wheels. I know, duh; I mention for the benefit of future car seekers because the difference truly was substantial. The stick, on the other hand, was a bit disappointing. I have owned multiple BMW/Porsche manual transmission cars, and also a few DCT (including current car). I didn't necessarily find anything wrong - I just found the car to be much less dynamic versus DCT. The DCT just felt more "on the boil" despite my efforts to keep stick in the powerband. I also noticed that the DCT's 7th gear is also a benefit on freeway. Lastly, that clutch is liiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

The M2 competition w/ DCT was fun (dealer didn't have stick). No surprise, it felt a bit more tossable. Suspension was firm but not harsh - a bit of a surprise given what I've read. Car pulls hard but not quite as hard as my M3. Interior, of course, is a bit lower rent. Steering not much, if any, of an improvement versus M3. In summary, I wouldn't fault anyone for making a change - or staying the course. I also learned that I wish I had 18" rims and adaptive suspension. The 18" rims is easily $olvable. The passive suspension not so much.
Interesting, honestly I had a 2016 non comp M4 with passive suspension before this 2020 ZCP M4 and I can't really tell the difference. I keep the suspension in comfort most of the time for the record and have the 20" 666s

Edit: I wanted to get the manual for my 2 F82s also but the DCT really is made for this car. Just couldn't give it up. Hate that BMW ditched it.
Appreciate 0