01-31-2014, 07:37 AM   #237
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig View Post
I finally drove an M5 a few times now and I can say that it's an amazing car from an interior perspective. It's just unreal. If the new M3 can be 30% of the M5 from an interior perspective, it'll be an amazing car. There is just so much difference between a 335i (F30) and an M5 right now. I know M3 is closing that gap, but how much is the question.

From a performance perspective the story is different. The car has torque at all levels. No turbo lag at all (I'm not sure this is because it was a 575 hp monster or the improved turbos). You touch the throttle slightly at 1200 rpm, and you get the power under your foot right there. Amazing feeling. That being said, when you WOT, it really does not feel so fast. Or in other words, it doesn't sound "as scary" as my M3. In my M3, when I go WOT from 20 mph to 90 mph, you get this sheer adrenalin being pumped into your veins. M3 is a lot less forgiving car. You have to be very careful. The road noise, steering feedback, it's a lot more raw, direct. M5 is what it should be, it's executive. It absorbs the road noise so well. The steering feedback is there, but it's a lot more forgiving. The torque though, believe it or not, it just does not feel like 500+ lb/ft, it doesn't. And I don't know if it's because the torque starts at 1200 rpm or not vs it builds gradually in the M3 (S65), the M3 punches you back more to your seat. With M5, you are like "meh, I'm doing 90 mph", with M3, it's more like "holy crap, I'm doing 90 mph", it's hard to explain. Naturally aspirated engines are a bit more rewarding and turbo is a lot easier to get it up there at fast levels. I'm not sure if I did a good job explaining, I drove my M3 and the M5, back to back, exactly 4 times and this is my feedback.

Oh and the active sound in M5 actually sounds pretty good. It's done very elegantly, you don't really feel it. I quite liked it.
I find this intesting as I have never driven the M5 however I have to disagree about the M3 - I have had 2 E9x M3s and regularly drove them to the limiter for prolonged periods on the autobahn and I must say they are very easy cars to drive quickly, extremely planted and predicatable - 100 mph feels like a cruise for the car. Of course everyone has different views but this is mine. I never felt like I had to be careful in the M3, i found it very confidence inspiring actually.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0