View Single Post
      03-31-2016, 09:23 PM   #91
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
Seems like 90% of the people here didn't read the article. The issue has nothing to do with Halogen vs. LED or Xenon. It's how the lights are AIMED that's the problem. Halogen lights worked for a long time, and they still do if aimed properly. But BMW aims their lights too low, so you can't see far enough ahead.
I read not only the article but also the report itself. Aiming is an issue but it is important to note this is the first time this test was done and the standards are the first objective real world standards ever applied so the fact that halogen has been around for a long time isn't the issue. The point they are making is regardless of technology right now no manufacture is making a system that is adequate for the speeds and conditions that cars are being driven at and in. The LED and Xenon cars consistently perform at a higher level than the halogen cars, you can aim the halogens all you want and they won't meet these new standards. In addition NHTSA is so cautious that when great technology comes out like the new stuff BMW is making they require them to disable or degrade the brightness, perhaps this test and IIHS will push them to allow the european standard. I would like to see if a Euro spec I8 with laser would meet the standard, I suspect it would.
Appreciate 0