View Single Post
      11-03-2019, 07:25 PM   #1
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

1st gear judder 6MT

I know there are some older threads on this but wanted to check in to see if there is a consensus on what this may be.

I never had this issue but about 8 months ago, brought my car in for its 50k service and since I was having some random radio issues (in hindsight should have just ignored it as I'm sure now it has more to do with my IPhone/BMW Apps than anything else), I asked them to take a look. They updated my car's software as the "fix".

When I picked up my car I noticed upon take off a nasty judder that I hadn't noticed before as 1st gear engaged on roll out. I chalked it up to perhaps not releasing the clutch right or the new software effecting the clutch somehow. I drove home, and it seemed to get better but happened a few more times on the way home. Next day, no issues. Since then it has happened more often and now occurs each morning as I back out of my driveway and then move forward. Once going, car drives fine. At slow speeds I can put it in first and auto rev match picks up seamlessly. Sometimes I won't feel it the rest of the day. I assumed if it was something mechanical, it would happen all the time.

In any case, it's happening enough now that it is taking away from my joy of driving the car.

Does this sound like a clutch issue? I've been driving manuals my whole driving life and this is the first issue I've ever had so I'd like to think it's not that. Especially with others saying they've experienced similar issues. Could it have been the software change and can they change it back?

I plan on making an appointment with the dealership but my concern is it either won't happen when they test drive it and they'll send me home with just an investigation bill or they'll just default to replace the clutch and cost me a bunch of money. Someone else here had their clutch replaced under warranty as they were experiencing a similar issue and the clutch looked pretty good when they took it off.

Just some more info: have 54k miles and almost all is highway as I live in the suburbs and commute via highway each day. Very little city driving.

Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0