06-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #33
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I have been using the stock fluid on all my ///Ms since 2001 at the rate of 16~20 track days per year without any issues. I have the stock fluid flushed by the dealer once a year at the start of the track season. There is a good cost benefit in that you get 2 flushes for free as part of regular maintenance. Further, my dealer also has been accomodating by sometimes not charging for the in-between flushes.
This is true, OEM fluids are fine. If you track a few times a year, you can get by with flushing it once. However, if you do experience fading on one given weekend then you'll need to flush after that track weekend as air is now in your system (boiling).

My dealership is very reasonable, they charge $105 for oil changes. For brake fluid, they charge $127. The recommended standard interval is once every 2-yr. A Motiv pressure bleeder is $50 and Ate Typ 200 is $15. The ROI and convenient factor is there. Fluid specs below:

Ate TYP 200 - Dry 536*F / Wet 392*F
BMW OEM - Dry: 446*F / Wet: 311*F

I splurged on the Motiv Black Label (pro grade) so I can help my track buddies w/o worrying wear and tear to the cap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
I tell everyone about this now when discussing brake fluid. being fresh is the most important thing it seems.
You are correct. Even the highest performing fluid will degrade as they absorb moisture. Moisture in the air will dilute its ability to hold a high boiling temp.