View Single Post
      08-31-2013, 05:04 PM   #151
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
It is not at all clear if I asked the question in the best way to locate bias. But as the question was asked there does appear to be some validity to the claim mentioned above (i.e. a bias). One is just about precisely twice as likely to dislike the M4 if the own a current M3 (26% vs 13%).

My math on that is:

(# own&dislike)/(total # own) vs.
(# don't own&dislike)/(total # don't own)
Interesting, I think you got the correct mathematical ratios . If you had divided by total number of poll entries instead it would have added undue weight to the most numerous group taking the poll.
But I suspect the 'don't own' group to have the bias in favor by nature of being on the forum. These are the people coveting the new car and with sufficient interest to follow its unveiling justifying time spend for their attention even if not all are potential buyers. To get a truly unbiased answer you would need to poll the "don't own who are not forum members". I bet that poll will be closer to the "own" dislike number.

I may be wrong on that but let me mention sth else. When the V8 M3 was created and developed the economy was much healthier. But this current M generation was developed during less auspicious economic times. When revenues go down, companies still have to make a living by working better profit margin and usually that means doing manufacturing cost reduction. It is more challenging to produce a same value product with less money. I am not saying that is why the M4 brakes calipers are smaller (after all it is a lighter car, but even the large ones we have were not enough for some) Generally speaking this scenario is not ideal to engineers and limits what they can accomplish, or compromise for.

Anyway I am very glad your M3 is still running fierce and strong as you got one of the first wave. I waited too long after not getting approved for an individual paint twice. Very happy now.
Appreciate 0