Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_s View Post
I'm a hobby producer/audio engineer who have produced a couple of bands and I spend quite a lot of my time in a studio.

I haven't found anything wrong with the EQ settings flat, they sound good to me. I especially wouldn't cut all the mids out like in the previous posts, because you'll loose a big part of the music when you don't have any mids. The music will sound very thin and it will be drowned out by road noise.

Lincoln, I'm really looking forward to the analysis of the freq response. Can you post a result somehow?

What kind of noise is produced that cover all the freqs you need for a proper analysis?
The Pink Noise wiki page can explain what pink noise is better then I can.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_noise.

Audiotools app can produce pink noise, many spectrum analyzers (AKA RTA or Real Time Analyzers) can generate pink noise. I find the easy way to play pink noise on a car stereo is from a CD or USB device. I only like to use uncompressed material from a known good source for tuning and listening tests, so I use CDs (equal to .wav files) or my 1T USB HD with my entire CD collection burned using Exact Audio Copy (painfully slow process) on it in wav format (not all car stereos with USB will play the HD, my E90 does and I hope the F80 does, most that I have tried the HD on do play wav files - The 2013 MP4-12C spider played it, The 2011 Ferrari California did not, 2015 Corvette does, Ford Sync does and it reads the drive fast - that's all I've tried it on so far). That said I will use actual CDs for my tuning. There are many commercially available CDs with pink noise tracks that are known to be clean recordings. I have many of them. My favorites are the IASCA CD used in competition since they also have some good sound quality music tracks. There are also Stereophile Magazine test dics that are similar designed to test and configure 2 channel home systems with a different more classical leaning music selection (not really something I want to listen to driving around like the some the IASCA tracks).

Since I have to wait until November for my car I will have time to find a real "professional" rta to borrow for the tuning. The shop I used to work at folded tent a few years ago after 4 owners and 38 years in business. I worked for owners 2 and 3. The manager of the shop for over 20 years now runs another custom shop, so if he doesn't have one he will know who does. I will post my results when I have them. I'll probably do some measurements with audiotools, as well, then I can compare how accurate it is compared to a real RTA.

For music listening tests I have many CD's that are great recordings and I'm very familiar with how they sound. Some Telarc, some Chesky, some regular CDs that are better the average recordings, etc.

In the end, I love the audiophile CDs but I also love Alternative, Rock, Classic Rock, etc and much of this is not recorded well. I still enjoy it but wish more artists would care about the sound quality.

Here's a few on my go to CDs that I know are still for sale:
Chesky Demo with commentary about what to listen for before each track. Nice CD with some decent music.
http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Demon...udiophile+test

My favorite Alternative recording from the 80's that sounds quite good:

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Wish-25...rds=propaganda

Awesome recording from Telarc of a Beach Boys cover band. Sounds just like the real thing to me.

http://www.amazon.com/California-Pro...pa+doo+run+run

That's a tiny sample of some of the tracks I will use after the initial tuning is done.
Past BMWs: E30 323i, E36 325is, E36 M3, E46 M3, E39 M5, E46 325i, E90 335i, F80 M3, F87 M2
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00