View Single Post
      12-07-2019, 12:05 PM   #24
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline10000 View Post
Nice I may need to look at that for my rear setup.
They’re a super cheap solution for direct caliper cooling with almost no modification. You just need to drill a few holes for the cable ties to secure it to the lower arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MOS View Post
Appreciate the video FlyingLow! Maybe I'm confused as to the view/what's being shown, but it almost looks like you removed the heat shield completely. Is that the case? (I think that's recommended for some of the big brake kits)

If not, I'm curious whether removing the heat shield (or at least putting a few larger holes through it) would be better than the other options for ducting/routing air through a single hole in the heat shield. I realize you wouldn't have a stream of cool air directed to the caliper/rotor, but it seems like there would be decent air flow all around the rotor and caliper nonetheless.
You’ve tapped into some of my thought process when I decided what to do with it. Essex says to remove it altogether, but then I’m relying on high entropy air for cooling. With the full shield in place it blocks a lot of airflow to the rotor. I wanted a focused airstream on just the center of the rotor for heavy braking tracks like Monza, so my compromise was to attach a 2.5” aluminum flange to the shield and cut everything else away (except what was covering the rotor hat and the three mounting points). The ideal solution for me would be something like the M4 GT4 carbon fiber rotor shields, but I’m not paying $1400.

I’m in Spain at the moment and will be driving on Circuit de Catalunya tomorrow. There are two heavy braking zones per lap and I’ll update this thread if there’s anything noteworthy, otherwise just keep an eye out for my post in the track sub forum early next week. I’ve got eight cameras on the car now and hope to provide two different views of the front brakes in action. I’ll be running the full ducts again after leaving them off the car for a wet Mugello. I also relocated the calipers temperature strips and added a second strip to each of the fronts to try to more accurately capture temperatures near the pistons.
Appreciate 1