11-22-2013, 03:47 AM   #179
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
If I want to putput around and hypermile, an M3/M4 is not the car I would get. An M3/4 should be optimized for performance while still delivering decent fuel economy. The lower gears for performance with a top gear for economy would do the trick. IMO, an M3/4 should not be optimized for the very complex fuel economy test quoted above.
I don't think that it's an option for a company that wants to take care of it's public image to completely neglect fuel economy and emissions issues anymore (at least not in Europe). And manufacturers are bound by law to display consumption and emmissions data, with a green, yellow, red chart and you don't want to be in the red... So. it's a issue BMW just can't hide away from here. And that chart with colours is decided by the test cycle results...

And with European gas prices, the fuel consumption actually makes a big difference. Especially if the gap between the average car and the M car gets too large. If the M uses more than twice the gas as the daily driver, it becomes a concern for many...

But, agree. Fuel consumption isn't top priority for most M3/M4 buyers.

Emmisions chart:

Tax chart for the UK:
Appreciate 0