View Single Post
      03-15-2015, 12:07 AM   #72
pigwet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW F80, CP, DCT

Another update here.

First off is a comparison of the previous 6000ft@32F run in 3rd gear to a new 6000ft@62F run in 3rd gear. Same course, different day. Here you could argue the car compensates for the temperature increase by boosting +1psi more on both stock and MAP 1 configurations. In the stock case with outside temperature of 32F, the intake air temperature fell from 64F to 57F during the run, and fell from 87F to 84F when the outside temperature as 62F. The ~30F temperature increase from day 1 to day 2 amounts to a ~6% decrease in air density assuming 0% humidity.

Next up is a stock boost comparison of a 2nd gear run at 6200ft@47F vs. a 2nd gear run at 10500ft@27F. This is a little bit more questionable. I calculate there to be around a 11% difference in air density between the two altitudes/temps, possibly resulting in an increase in boost at altitude to compensate. Tough to tell. Very difficult to find a high altitude road you can do a 3rd gear pull to 100mph so 2nd gear had to suffice. Before doing the calculation, I was expecting to see a greater increase in boost at higher elevations. But I suppose this makes sense. Traction control did kick on at lower elevation, causing the dip at 3500rpm, but full throttle recovered to the higher elevation value by 4500rpm in the run.

And finally a comparison of 3rd gear pulls vs. 2nd gear pulls to see the potential differences. You can see traction control turn on in 2nd and 3rd at lower elevations. Again, full throttle recovers by 4500rpm.
Appreciate 2