05-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #71
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
Hmmm, next time Jason or someone interviews an M manager ,we should try to confirm the exact reasons for the different model designation, I would not think that choice of materials would drive such a difference, rather a difference in size/platform such as in the past with the e65/e66 7ers to differentiate the longer wheelbase... but you never know.
With the F10 M5 over 85% of the components were changed out completely or modified. With that much difference from the base model it is really no longer developmentally appropriate to utilize the same F code. With the F80 M3 even more of the components will be differing from the base car so the decision was made to move to an M F code rather than F30M.

It is not for the general population or enthusiasts it is more for internal documentation, supplier part numbering and testing. The basic underpinnings of the 5/6/7 are essentially the same as are the 1/3 just scaled differently. It is the other bits that are what makes it all so different.

This also allows the M variants to have different life cycles and be developed alongside the base car rather than after it. If you have noticed the M cars can now be completed more rapidly- the early involvement of M allows this. Instead of M waiting for the AG engineers to finalize something they can do there own thing (using the basic chassis in white) as they now have that ability.

The new 1 Series 3 door hatch is a prime example of this- M will be launching their version alongside the base version. In reality the F80 is not that far off but there are marketing reasons for its developmental pace to launch.

I talked with Dr. Nitschke on Sunday- he said that the technology they are using (F80) will be surprising and that should be the focus of attention rather than cylinder count or if "i" or "v". The car will surpass the E90 in every way possible- performance, efficiency and at the scales. He was more interested to discuss the US fascination with manuals in the M5 and M6.... (hint at the latter).