11-21-2015, 09:07 AM   #102
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm2 View Post
I'm not sure how this wont immediately take share from the M3. I thought it was going to be $90k car. At this price you really have to look in the mirror and ask why you'd buy a M3 instead.
First off, a $90k M3 makes absolutely no sense to me. That is 1.5x the price of the base car, and IMO there is a wasted $15k in there somewhere.

But to answer your questions, here are some of the things that could kill its sales in the market. The M3 is a daily driver for the vast majority of people. The seats, the BT integration, the suspension comfort, engine and turbo lag etc. all these are things that are expected to be perfect in a $70-80k car. If they are not, it will erode buyer confidence. The specs are meaningless. A paper car can only be driven on paper, just take a look at how well the 4C is doing.

Also as someone else mentioned reliability will be a huge concern on a brand new unproven platform and engine, from a manufacturer which has suffered from it severely in the past. At least with BMW if the engine blows they will give you a new one, but what will Alfa after sales support be like? no one knows, depends on the amount of cash they are willing to invest. So far, their dealerships are few and far between.

Speaking for myself, I would perhaps be tempted to overlook these concerns and give it a chance, to try it out 2-3 years on a lease, if the numbers ar reasonable. I wouldn't buy one that's for sure. And if it leases $300 more than an M3, then I would be tempted by a 911 instead.

So I seriously doubt this is an M3 killer, at least sales wise.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0