06-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #88
font9a
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post
Wow. I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've heard anyone say that.

For 335 owners or e46 m3 owners it's all upside. More hp/torque. Same 6.

For e9x m3 owners it's a bit of a let down. But the v8 was really an anomaly. Very surprising choice for the m3 and it will forever be that anomaly.

Even though it will lose that exotic v8, the next m3/4 is going to be a beast. Most people will forgive BMW for going turbo when the new m3 rips it up. And the e9x m3 will become a classic for that special engine...
Exactly why I moved up from my N54 335i (tuned+) to a new S65 M3 ZCP DCT. I am completely in agreement with OPs thesis. I asked myself, "I love my 335i with close to 400HP and 400TQ, why would I want an M3?" Until I drove one, and it is undeniable how much better the M3's steering, transmission, and suspension are. Worlds apart. Leagues apart. "But what about this new engine, this high-revving, linear, low torque, high horsepower, lionized plant that everyone raves about? It's not that quick. It certainly doesn't *feel* as quick as my N54 did..."

But it is quick. Quicker. And with more finesse, excitement, and sheer speed that the 335i could ever muster, no matter how good a car she was. And now that the V8 growl sings to me every day, it's beautiful music. More violin-like, than drums 'n bass thuggery of the N54. Not as eager to kick my coccyx into the seatback and spin the rears at 1500rpm, but a scalpel around the bends, and surging crisp upshifts all the way up the speedo; never wheezy above 6000.
Appreciate 0