01-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #186
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash83 View Post
90% of the people here does not track their car and do not care if they will get 4 seconds faster lap time on Laguna Seca with the new M3/M4.

The new C63 will be 500+ hp stock with huge margin for safe tuning, 90% of street drivers will be thrilled with that car. this 500+ club is a segment by itself and I am sure most people will think if I can get into that club with 70K then why would i even look into a crazy boosted M3/4 !!!!

I have no clue why BMW did that decision to drop the M3/M4 to an I6 with similar displacement as 135/335/535. They definitely put themself below the next AMG/RS5 segment.
Merc's are sledgehammers- as heavy as they are brutally powerful. They really don't compare on the track in stock form to the balance and chassis of the M3 (and now M4). The M3 has always been the ultimate driving machine, not the "go fast in a straight line machine and then brake wayyyy early for your 2 ton super car to slow for the next apex" car. On a personal note, I have always been turned off by the C63. To me it is a terrible looking car, and I hate how the AMG rides worse than a slammed civic. The M3 is firm but perfect.

From a comparative sales perspective, the $ for hp argument is typically a worthy point. From the perspective of probably 60% of actual buyers in this category, it is not as worthy of a point. What it really comes down to for most is: A bunch of power but mega heavy and the looks of the C63 vs a great total package and the looks of the M3/M4. That is pretty much it. When the auto mags come out with their comparison data, the results are almost as important to your average U.S. buyer as their own opinion. For instance, auto mags seem to have a desire to surprise their readers by choosing the better handling but underpowered car, unless it is truly a total package. If the M3/M4 is doing a 3.6-3.7 0-60 by some car and driver editor, it will likely match the 0-60 of the C63, if not getting nudged by a nose. Ride, handling, braking, technology, innovation. You never know what they'll say, but so many buyers will buy the one the auto mags say is the best.

By the time I finish this comment someone else will have said it... because I rambledddddd sorry about that
Appreciate 0