View Single Post
      04-02-2021, 08:59 PM   #96
Dumaurier7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Lightbulb

Hi all , presently I am in the process of converting my M235 to a top mount A2W intercooler which caused me to stumble on this thread whilst doing research (as I always do) before and after I modify my stuff. Just for information I decided to go with the Phoenix Racing "Upgrade" and the Mishimoto heat exchanger, both choices were made based on claimed performance and my budget. After reading this thread I was taken aback by a couple things but the one that struck me the most is the fact that a lot of you guys seem to want to bolt on an upgraded intercooler and see magical improvements in performance whilst completely ignoring the other important parts/ factors of the system. At the end of the day an upgraded intercooler will add more efficiency by increasing surface area and internal volume but it also introduces more resistance to water flow and more water volume to keep cool this itself introduces a new challenge . If the true potential of any A2W system is to be realized then it is imperative that the charge cooler not only be paired with an upgrade heat exchanger BUT also an UPGRADED or supplemental INTERCOOLER WATER pump in order to increase (or at least maintain) circulation rates of the now larger volume of water flowing through a more resistant system! In one of my previous builds I used a BOSCH water pump because at the time it was the unit to used since it was what came on many OEM supercharged high horse power cars, now if you do some checking you will see that it is actually one of the worse pumps you can buy! In the same way you are assuming the rest of the BMW system is up to the task when it clearly isn't! a simple rule of thumb I learned and apply is whatever is done to the right side of the equation must also be done to the left! you cannot upgrade or change one part of a system that is designed to work together as a whole and expect it to function better. Many a time you will see a newly modified (higher HP) engine struggle to stay cool when the cooling system is not simultaneously upgraded, so why would you expect this scenario to be different? Since I am designing my system I opted for a high flow EWP flowing 34.3 GPM which will be speed adjusted based on boost/ load, I'm sure the BMW OEM pump is nowhere in that ball park! At the risk of being skewered ill say that I think you guys would be better off leaving your cars sock if you do not take a holistic view/ approach when doing modifications .

PS: I also don't think you were fair to the CSF guy!
Attached Images

Last edited by Dumaurier7; 04-02-2021 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0