11-03-2021, 10:07 AM   #4
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
Hi together,

I might get killed now here from some people but I would like to get some opinions (as objective as possible).

I have the G80 MT and since a couple of weeks I'm scratching my head if I should swap for a low milage (8'000km) F82 DCT. It's a damn good car the G80, but something is lacking, some character I can't really tell but the excitment is somehow gone

I love the MT but after driving the DCT I can't stop thinking about...
Yes, the interior and tech is a thing you really feel the difference, but I always think it's a performance car and the gimmicks are things that are nice, but not a must have.

I'm just a little scared that the excitement will pass with the time and I will regret it..of course I loose quiet some amount of money when swapping now, I own the car 6 months and the biggest value loss is withing the first year.

Oh and please no discussion about the styling, I bet my ass most of you hate the G80 just trying to get an objective opinion from you guys.

Also:
How is the maintenance ?
Any knows issues? I googled a bit, but couldn't find anything really related

What is annoying about the F8x ?

and a side question:
Can the M Performance Exhaust be mounted on an F82 WITH OPF ?

Thanks in advance for your honest opinions !

Jokes aside F8X is an awesome platform and you’re probably aware of some of the quirks of going back a generation (interior, tech, etc.). From that perspective I’d probably go for a car with Full Leather and Exec Pack to make that bridge a little less break-neck. Fundamentally F8X and G8X are very similar cars. Having just been evangelized on the CS, if you’re looking for the best stock driving F8X then pick up a CS - it’ll probably wash with G8X in terms of price/value. It has that stripped down appeal that I think you are alluding to in terms of not needing the latest and greatest do-dads. It really is a significant improvement from the regular cars, and is likely a bridge between F8X and G8X in terms of driving dynamics. If you do decide to go non-CS F8X then I would suggest the GTS steering, DCT, MDM, Diff tune. Mainly the steering and DCT are two “mods” that are immediately noticeable and have a significant positive impact IMO. Again, if you go CS you really won’t need to do anything - it is extremely good right out of the box. That’s not to say regular F8X isn’t fantastic, but the CS is just the perfected version of it. In terms of things to look out for:

1. TMIC leak
2. Rear Diff bushing leak
3. Front Turbo oil leak
4. SCH (this one is very overblown. It doesn’t sound like you’re going to tune so if it worries you, which it really shouldn’t, just slap on a CBC after warranty is done and put your worries to bed)

I will say just generally that if you’re looking for road going excitement from the perspective that you’re wringing a car out, then I don’t know that F8X will do it for you. In that regard, it has the same issue as G8X in that it’s much to fast to push on the street. Having said that, it does feel less insulated and more alive when compared to newer BMWs (my opinion of course) so it might just be the halfway house between older and new that you’re looking for.
Scorp!on1511.50