07-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #265
Sparco
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3 \ Future M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
No GTS has been delivered yet, so it is hard to provide meaningful opinion comparative to M4. The 981 platform is really superb for daily driving, the chassis and engine are at a very mature state at this time, there is very few, if any, negatives I can think about. F8x platform is still an unknown, long ways to go before it will reach maturity. So, IMHO, it really comes down to mostly subjective selection criteria about design, practicality, desirability, branding, affordability, etc.
Exactly!! In 2005 I believe, I gave up on an E46 M3 for a full spec Lotus Elise. At the time, my thought process was gee, light weight, short wheelbase, power to weight, what can go wrong?? The Lotus was a P.O.S. had to wring its neck in the higher revs to get it to go and on a daily basis, a complete disaster. Now, in no way, shape, or form am I associating the Cayman in this manner as the Lotus. Last september, I had the trip of a lifetime traveling to Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Northern Italy attending Mercedes, and Porsche factory tours, Nurburgring trackday as well as playing on a test track with the BASE Cayman and C2S Carrera. The Cayman and Porsche cars for that matter are superb cars from top to bottom as are BMW products. The Cayman was the real deal and if Porsche ever decided to put a real motor in it then, look out 911. At this point, I am starting to lean towards an M4 more and more. I may completely make an about face after I either see or drive one but can't help but think the M4 will be the better purchase. Also, I am going completely bonkers on color choices as I usually go the Alpine white route but having seen metallic black and YSB am driving myself nuts with either a Black/SO 6-speed 19s and ceramics or YSB/black 6-speed ceramics. Decisions, decisions,
Appreciate 0