Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitosz View Post
One of the indications that turbos are flowing is power holding up top. BMW dynos shows power peeking at redline and holding until 7200rpm. This could just be proper tuning, but also an indication that the turbos are not really running out of air up top.

This is a question of tuning and controlling boost taper at higher RPM.

I am not arguing that there isn't power left on the table, I am just saying that I find it highly unlikely that there is gobs of power waiting to be untapped by the aftermarket as there was with the N54.

While I think we can get more out of this engine than we did the S65, I don't see people cracking 500hp without full bolt ons (FBO), a tune, intake, and supporting fuel mods. Compare this to other modern turbo engines in performance cars such as GT-R, M5, and 911 Turbo where they develop 50+ whp with simply a tune and you can see why I'm disappointed in what many expect to be the "tuneability" of this motor.

Bottom line, 3.0 liters isn't cutting it in this price bracket.
You are comparing a 3.8L to a 3.0L. A GT-R/911 Turbo will pick power proportional to its displacement. I believe the S55 will boost 12-14psi stock, not 18.9psi which people think. If this holds up then it'll make 139hp/L, nearly identical to the GTR 140hp/L at the same 12-14psi stock. A GTR picks up 97whp FBO (intake, exhaust, injectors, tune) on 91oct at 17psi. That's about 25whp/L. +75whp (25whp/L) out of the S55 with a proper FBO setup is not something unimaginable. I know these are different engines and not comparable, but you get an idea.

And I agree with you, the issue here is the 3.0L. This engine should have been 3.2-3.4L.