View Single Post
      12-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #108
Savory
Kaskasero
Rep
Drives: You Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
It will have even less margins as BMW has expectations that this car will see track duty (heat!) and they have maximized the output as much as they can while keeping the car reliable.

Looking at the history of M3s, I think all of them came to market pretty much tweaked as much as you could possibly expect.

Compare this with the AMG C63 engine which basically burps out 50 whp with a tune alone...which is incredible for a NA engine.

My point: BMW squeaks by with the bare minimum. We're beat over the head constantly with their "handling" and "chassis" to make up for the lack of "crude power". How about this, guys? GIVE US BOTH. Or at least, do what Mercedes and Audi do and give us the option (Black series, RS series) of putting TRUE hot hi-po engines in your cars.
Until you can substantiate those bolded points, your guess is good as ours. We don't know what the limiting factors are until tuners get their hands on one. Closed deck block could possibly mean more resilience to boost, though that's if the turbos are up to it. It is true, there is only so much 3 liters of displacement can do reliably, but 430 hp is admittedly not that much for an engine to handle by today's standards. Time will tell..
2001 E39 M5
Appreciate 0