View Single Post
      01-03-2022, 03:41 PM   #181
Mayner
Registered
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
It's been a while since I've posted anything in the M3 sections around here, but I came across a situation today that resulted in some research and info that I'm thinking some of you might appreciate.

Most of you are probably aware the Active Sound Design can be coded out via INPA or other non-dealership coding systems. This is a good long term solution if you really don't like it. Unfortunately, BMW doesn't supply any coding options for ASD on the ISTA/P programming/coding system at the dealership level. And for many owners, I'm thinking the coding option is probably a little inconvenient and a bit of a gamble.

Today, I had an M3 customer that wanted me to look into options for eliminating the ASD function in her car. After looking at coding options and studying the wiring diagrams for the audio system, I simply unplugged the ASD control module. The system is now deactivated, but all other audio functions are normal. I did a few back to back drives with the module unplugged and functioning normally, and the difference is noticeable. I'm not going to say better or worse, but definitely noticeable.

Now, I think this is only a solution for cars with the Harmon Kardon sound system. The reason being that the ASD module is integrated into the system differently depending on audio system level. The H/K amplifier gets signals via hardwire from the ASD module, as well as regular stereo sound from the head unit via the fiber optic most-bus. The amp mixes the tones and outputs them to the speakers. On a basic stereo, the ASD module is actually in series between the head unit and the amplifier. So simply unplugging it would probably kill the entire audio system (like a fuse pull).

With the ASD module being fairly easy to access, this isn't a tough job. It's just below the left tail light in the trunk. You do need to at least partially remove the left trunk interior trim panel to get to it, but there's just a few plastic clips holding it in.

I didn't think to take any pics when I was doing the job, but hopefully this info will help some of you DIYers who want to play around with or easily deactivate this system. While it isn't as elegant a solution as coding, it can be put back to stock in a few minutes if need be.
Your right with standard system, unplugging kills all audio - any other options for std audio system?
Appreciate 0