View Single Post
      04-17-2021, 01:09 PM   #37
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjponti View Post
I couldn't help myself and just leased an X4M Comp that will be delivered next week. (Chose the X4 instead of X3 because of the wife's preference.) Super excited nonetheless.

Here's my dilemma, I just moved to Colorado from California, and now my F80 won't be leaving the garage for half of the year most likely. Our other car is a Toyota RAV4 that we use for dirty jobs, taking the dogs places, driving to trails, etc. If I were to trade or sell one, which one should it be? I love my F80, do I dare part ways? If I kept it, should I just be ok with doing some dirty jobs in the X4?

I feel like I know the answer to some of these questions but am avoiding the reality . Feel free to call me an idiot or whatever! Haha

Side note: both of the other vehicles are paid off if that makes any difference here.
I'll add my 2 cents here.

I've had prior M cars.

From my perspective, its the long running argument between practicality vs. fun. The internal struggle between the heart and the mind. The mind is telling you to be practical but the heart tugs the other way.

There really is no right answer. To me, it boils down to the individual.
I sold my prior M car when the kids came around; we only had 2 cars then and I could not fit car seats in the M and even if I could squeeze them in, it would be a back breaker.

As kids came and seasons passed, I did the practical thing, getting utility cars and treating cars essentially as appliances. But in my heart, there was always that love of owning and driving a high performance car in tracks and canyon runs. Every time I saw a M3, especially the F8x gen. or P car (S, 4S, Turbo) I'd do a double take. (the E9x didn't do it for me aesthetically).

We now have 3 cars, just like your setup. The M3 is my fun, our short road trip car. I get to bring my kids in it and have fun and make memories. I did consider the 911, but its sorta of selfish car and more impractical. Its more involving for sure, but at the end, its really a 2 seater. You *might* seat 4 but forget road trips. Not happening unless you put racks on it and even then.

The way I look at it, if you really love your car and are ok with the additional expense, keep it. I sold my M3 and sort of regretted it for years as it was getting harder and harder to get a good conditioned one. There are really very few 4 door sedans out that match the F8x in looks, performance, rawness (yes I know, there prior gens can be argued to be more involving), trackability (should you want that) and just plain utility. This to me is the magic formula that BMW got right with this platform.

As an aside, I went to the dealer 2 days ago to service the car and the first thing I got was comments on how the car looked from the BMW staff there.

We're on the edge of a transition to EVs. Very soon, most of these cars will not be readily available even if you wanted to get one. And you'd have to compromise on condition if you did unless you paid up.
Appreciate 1
mjponti19.00