07-03-2018, 07:24 PM   #55
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckortane View Post
Right
I'm debating on whether I sell the car and move into a 18/19 or perhaps look at extending the warranty. Or just go no warranty, replace the pads and then look at the m2 comp brake kit retrofit for before track season starts.

I was pretty disappointed to have to "retire" early at my last event due to concern about pads/rotors.

Again hearing from bmw service who weighed the rotors they still have 190grams and 40 grams available in weight - which is about the same number when new. So it's a bit confusing getting different info from different sources. My instructor was saying that the rotors are on the way to being replaced. But the weigh says the that they have tons of life left.

Learning that the 19s won't offer individual colors until 1/19 (SOP) makes me think better to just hold onto my car. Wish it had zcp (it's a 15) but has all sorts of other goodies including 666wheels / m perf exhaust / cf parts.

I got a quote from usaa for 4yr/up to 100k miles, - $8500!!! Can't get a dealer to respond and provide the options from bmw.

What to do....hard to sell this baby and settle for one of the "regular" colors. But mixed info on brakes and 4mos of warranty left are looming....
I know the feeling of not needlessly wanting to part with a car that's still very nice, unique, and I'm sure somewhat sentimental in value.

Can you explain the USAA statement better? I don't understand the quote, 4 years, up to 100k miles and -8500 dollars - just lost a little bit here.

On the pads/rotors. Good job getting them weighed, but even that can be misleading due to pad material buildup and the low total wear margins. You do the pads early to avoid degradation of the rotor is my understanding - yes running costs are not low, but they're excellent brakes.

What made the instructor say you might need to do the rotors?

Also - Wondering what your pads looked like compared to new ones when the rotors were weighed - and how much track use?

It sounds like you did no notable wear to the rotors - if that's through half of the pads and 6 or 8 days, that's excellent to hear. This case would follow the logic of; do pads at 50% material to minimize rotor wear.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0