View Single Post
      04-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #41
Ducfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Wow, this is by far the most detailed of this series of articles. Thank to M4post.com and to Herr Drees. Having worked for many years in the field of vibro-acoustics, I'm really impressed that BMW M is willing to share so much detailed information. Unfortunately there is just no way around (pretty much as discussed) the fact that normally aspirated sound >> turbo sound.

This has also slightly altered my stance on their using electronics (stereo system) to pipe noise into the vehicle. Knowing exactly what the engine is doing (state of load and engine speed) through acoustics only is an important part of driver awareness and can directly impact driving decisions. If this is improved through this technique it makes the system a bit more purposeful and less "oh let's just supplement the poor turbo sound".
I've changed my view as well. Reality is that I, and in my opinion most have been altering the sound of our vehicles for decades to make them sound more like what we want them to sould like. Many (not me) justify this to themselves that they are actually getting more power with that different exhaust because they want to project that they are above such superficial desires as sound alone. Listen to the new F1 engine....clearly the most dense power package available with today's technology does not meet our conditioned sense of what it should sound like.

Ok it is nice of BMW to give us this driver feedback explanation (which I can buy into some) and avoid telling us we're a bunch of superficial posers. I now think what BMW has done with the electronic system is cool. Allowed themselves the ability to create the most effective exhaust system without the need to compromise performance to achieve a sound.

Now let's talk about a real hard to swallow pill. Would you still change the exhaust system? IMO we know that most exhaust only swaps do not really improve performance...it's for sound. And it will clearly be possible to alter the sound in the cabin electronically (coding or whatever) so if you still say yes to a different physical exhaust are you not really saying that what you care about is what other people hear? Sounds vain to me.....

Please don't get all upset with me. These are just thoughts and odds are I will still change the exhaust on my car in spite of what I just wrote....old habits and beliefs die hard.
Appreciate 0