Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Update.

Just spent some time under my car while it was on ramps to check out the steering rack system to see if anything was loose. The two bolts that hold the rack seems tight on my car so doubt that’s the issue. I gave it another half turn to make it tighter just for good measure. While I was under there with the metal pan off I was tapping around to see if anything seems loose that would make the noise that I am hearing and noticed that the long steering column rod could be the culprit. It’s not loose but there isn’t enough tension on it so if I just gently tap it with my hand you get this noise. It makes sense because majority of the people here all complain about the clunk sound only on the drivers side.
I did the same thing last weekend. I got a kind of springy resonance sound like when you tap the coil springs, but not that loose rattle/knock sound that you seem to have. If my damper reinstall doesn't fix the issue, I'll take the reinforcement plate off and check the steering linkage again.