12-05-2019, 06:11 AM   #5
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine89 View Post
I don't know much about acoustical engineering but everything you're saying is making an incredible amount of sense. God I hope someone is out there resting the best equal length exhaust system with an mpe setup. I love how throaty my MPE. I can't imagine it being better, but this post makes me think there's room for improvement!
In theory, a midpipe could be made to mate to the MPE, but that seems like a limited market compared to something like the AA midpipe which mates to most axle back systems. I think that would involve cutting up the MPE to mate to it, but I'm sure some people would be more comfortable with this than others for the sound benefit.

The other issue I see is that the stock muffler and MPE were designed for the stock tone - changing to equal length changes this considerably, and I'm not entirely sure that a chambered design that is made for stock lengths is going to work for equalized lengths. Just listen to the difference between mine and spool twice's systems - they sound almost nothing alike. My system has a long single pipe to blend the tones, and that's different than the X pipe in spool twice's design. Add a different muffler, and we're not even similar anymore.

I've been trying to procure an AA Signature rear muffler with the single entrance - I think this is the most successful I'm going to get to a valved dual exit system at my budget. Problem is I really don't want to buy new, since the muffler will most likely cost more than my entire custom system, and I don't care *that* much about valves and dual exits - tone trumps everything to me, and it's a work in progress to get one good tone, let alone iterating until both open and closed valve tones are acceptable. Maybe if I was a die hard M enthusiast who planned on keeping the car forever, but I'm not.
Appreciate 0