09-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1339 View Post
So I'm contemplating getting a clear bra installed over my white M-Sport bumper. But it's very expensive and I'm still not convinced. I've looked it up and it looks like they pre-cut the film with a laser according to a template, and then install it in place. But because of the nature of the beast the edge of the protection film ends up about 1/16'' from the edge of the paint. I feel like this line is going to be visible and attract a lot of dirt making it even more visible, especially on a white car...

Has anyone done clear bra and can comment on this?
Are you trying to do it yourself or have an installer do it? A good installer will wrap the edges around so that you can only notice it at corners. Bumpers are really hard with all the nooks and crannies and it's likely you'll be able to see it if you look close. I have a xpel ultimate full front, which removes the big seam from the hood. People only realize when I tell them and they look up close and feel along the body panel edges.

Taking care of it is slightly tricky when waxing, I haven't found the best solution, as the edge seems to attract wax. I bought some cotton swabs the other day and will see if they can remove the wax with some quick detailer. I'm pretty sure you can polish xpel PPF, but not sure exactly why you would, since it's self healing. I'm learning a lot of this as I go

Keeping a long following distance won't prevent rock chips, just the frequency of them I learned the hard way and have some chips which have been filled in with touch up paint (I can still see them unfortunately), before getting the xpel :facepalm:
Appreciate 0