View Single Post
      09-27-2013, 02:46 AM   #13
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

I was doing my due diligence for a few months before ordering my car so I can chirp in a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1339 View Post
So I'm contemplating getting a clear bra installed over my white M-Sport bumper. But it's very expensive and I'm still not convinced. I've looked it up and it looks like they pre-cut the film with a laser according to a template, and then install it in place. But because of the nature of the beast the edge of the protection film ends up about 1/16'' from the edge of the paint. I feel like this line is going to be visible and attract a lot of dirt making it even more visible, especially on a white car...

Has anyone done clear bra and can comment on this?
Don't go with a pre-cut film kit. Make sure you use an installer that does a custom install (aka they lay the film over your car and cut it to fit, rolling the extra film over the edges). The only really noticeable places you can tell are near the bottom left and right air ducts on the m-sport bumper (there isn't enough film to fill the whole duct due to the shape). It is so barely noticeable, I'm definitely the only person who will know it's there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
I haven't done one before, but I've never been a fan. You can always see it even when the car is clean, and I don't like the idea of not being able to seal and wax those areas. I believe you can seal and wax over the clear bra (?) but I'm not 100% certain and still, I don't think I would like it.

I just stay far back from everyone so I don't get rock chips.
What's the point of sealing over a car bra anyways? I have no problems with it with >2k miles. You just can't use waxed car soap. Get the clear stuff

Quote:
I'll be looking for an installer since the front bumper looks really complex and I've never done something like that before. Not that it can't be learned I supposed but not this time. I was looking at xpel based on internet research. The classic 3M does yellow I've been told. There is the 3M ventureshield that apparently is better. But xpel is the best as far as I can tell. Now that doesn't address the issues with the seam lines around the bumper curves. I understand that some seams can be hidden by wrapping the film around the panels but the bumper doesn't seem to be a place where this would be possible. And the templates apparently do not extend past the edges in any case. I think this is a case of better checking out an installer's work before I commit. $1k is very steep but when you're anal-retentive you gotta pay the price right?

Anyone has recommendations for an outstanding xpel installer in the Philadelphia area? I've been researching Ferrari forums and found a couple (Ferrari owners are understandably very anal lol) but wanted some feedback from the BMW crowd.
After doing my research on films, the 3M has the worst orange peel. I opted for the xpel ultimate and I'm very satisfied with it. It is self healing, protects the best from what I've seen, and is the longest lasting.

Quote:
Sure why not? Can you take pics of the bumper details if possible? Especially where the bra ends in the intricate nooks of the bumper... Thanks!

Interested in pricing as well, although pricing is very variable and I'm on the east coast.

Which brand of clear bra did you use?
I can take some pics as well... not sure how well I can get them to show edges however.
Appreciate 0