View Single Post
      12-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #108
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Yes, but a normally aspirated car will make torque at a much higher rpm, when the car is moving and traction is less of an issue. Look at the quick build-up of lower rpm torque on the F8x dyno plot. As it is, I think the current M3 is a bit traction challenged and the F8x will only be moving to 275 tires in the rear.

Don't get me wrong, I think it will be a fabulous car overall, and will likely surpass the e9x in most ways, however, getting power properly to the ground will be an issue. This is why even massive hp cars like a 640hp Viper still max out on their 0-60 times in the mid 3's even with 345 rubber.
I'll be extremely interested in seeing how BMW plays this issue. For instance, there's no particular reason why they couldn't restrict boost in first (and possibly second) gear. Instead of the nominal 18 psi or so, they'd give you 9, and 14 in second, or whatever they deem appropriate for an optimum-traction day.

Presto! Clean launches and terrific ETs for those of us who are stoplight/drag strip bandits.

Maybe a switch to turn it off if you feel like hooning around?

Bruce
Appreciate 0