04-23-2021, 12:15 PM   #9
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliF80rnia View Post
Also curious about these questions.
1. Do the steering wheel controls work with ID6 flash? Can it be used to control spotify on Carplay? Does it do anything with Maps?

The steering wheel controls just serve to navigate and there is nothing special that happens with them on CarPlay. The Siri button works well and I just figured double clicking on the iDrive knob will bring up Siri too. The HUD allows "Next Track" or "Previous Track" but not scrolling the playlist.

2. Does the iDrive control knob handwriting feature work with Carplay?
No, but voice input works very well (for address entry in Waze for example)

3. Any chance of getting HUD directions with Apple Maps when using the ID6 flash?
Unfortunately no. I hear this will be possible only with iDrive 7 and above.

4. What happens if there is a warranty or recall service on the car that requires the car to be coded?
I am in this position now - looking to get MP HAS kit on my car and it requires an iStep update. The flash only impacts the HeadUnit (in fact, I can continue to use BimmerCode and BimmerLink but it won't let me code the HU anymore though other ECUs are available for changes). I plan to ask the Dealer to leave the HU unit alone when doing the iStep update. My car is anyway out of warranty so hopefully they won't insist on having to update everything. If the coding wipes out the flash (it will if they update the HU), then I plan to get a reflash done which is much cheaper than the original flash (but not free).

5. Is the flash reversible?
The person who did the coding made backup so I presume so. In any case, I think we can go back to stock ID4. But this will require a reflash and a fee. After having the flash for a month, I don't think I'll ever want to go back!

Also, see my other reply on some of the things I really like with the ID6 flash and how it integrates CarPlay and OEM iDrive elements.

One other really nice thing is that its super easy to switch between Carplay and direct Bluetooth connection between phone and car. With the flash I also got Spotify App back in iDrive. So sometimes, I'll just play Music with OEM iDrive and see scroll lists in HUD etc. And when I want Waze, I'll hit one of the 1-8 buttons to switch to CarPlay and another one to bring up Waze. I think the music continues to play but I have to double check that.
Appreciate 1
mfurse182.00