View Single Post
      10-22-2020, 11:06 AM   #244
cheveux
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post
Did a quick statistical breakdown of the poll as it stands a few nights ago but posted it in another thread. Adding it here to share with everyone who is concerned about this.

“I took the poll that was done a while back and just did simple statistics to see what the fail rate was:

I was going to play with the numbers a little more but that's ok, I'm open to sharing this with anyone who reads it.

Because of the smaller sample size of tuned cars, I didn't split between DCT/Manual or year to get a general sense of the weight of the numbers.

Stock: 3% failure rate (out of 555 cars)
450-500whp tune: 11% (out of 227 cars)
500-550whp tunes: 19% (out of 149 cars)
550+ whp tunes: 33% (out of 90 cars)

If you focus on just manual vs. dct (tuned cars only),
Manual: 22% fail rate (out of 146 cars)
DCT: 18% fail rate (out of 320 cars)

Takeaway: if you do a light tune, you'd be silly not put on a CBC, or as Clint would say "You feeling lucky today?"

Assuming the cost of a motor is 15-20K, if you're going to light tune, you need at the minimum, a budget of $1- 1.5k (based on the general probability of failure, so a CBC is probably a good way to go about it.

papasmurf_m3 had some good points. If you follow folks like Apex Ring Taxi, they haven’t had SCH failures on their M4 ring taxis and were wondering why it was happening to M3/M4 owners. It’s clearly driving behavior. That has a sizeable component to it.

So: Don’t floor it when you are in high gear and low rpm and I would add, stay in S2, until you put a fix in. The Ring guys are almost always in middle to high gears with high rpm all day long.

The M4 from Apex is stock but has cbc from Burkhart engineering
Appreciate 0