View Single Post
      11-11-2022, 09:53 AM   #14
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

This is a fantastic feedback.
It is kind of info and discussion I was looking for.

In the last 5 years I have been doing about 30 trackdays a year. I am not easy on my brakes as I constantly trying to improve my driving.

Basically I have 60,000 miles on the Brembo CCM brakes. Mostly track miles and driving to and from the track.

I consumed about 4 front pad sets, and one set on the rear per season.

So far I have used one rotor set on the rear and 2 rotor sets on the front. I don't believe an cast Iron rotors can do that. On the E92 you have to get after market CCM.

There are many reasons why racing series do not use ceramic type rotors, and many time the reasons are not what's better. On this forum if we discuss track driving, we are talking HPDE which has no rules. Bring what ever car, modify what ever you want.

There are three kinds of ceramic type rotors.
Carbon-Carbon - not practical for road usage - are used on Formula 1 car and landing gear of airplanes.

Carbon Ceramic Matrix - used for the base structure of the rotor - and in this regards all ceramic rotors are CCM rotors.

CCM - some rotors are entirely made from CCM (Ferrari) including the friction layer. The CCM is great but consumed by heat. Great for street, but not durable for track usage

CCB - This is what Porsche uses. The rotor is still CCM, but the friction layer is SiC which is Very hard and either has not carbon, or very little carbon. This type of friction layer does not burned up (oxidize) on the track but relay on the brake pads to get consumed. With time, even that layer gets to be used but not in 4-5 trackdays.

I am still learning and collecting info on the technology and if anyone has better info, please share with the rest of us.

If anything I said is inaccurate, don't attack, educate. as I know more I will share.
Appreciate 2
NYG10873.00