Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerwillingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
I am not asking for a high revving NA engine. I am saying a nice small turbo V8 would have been a better engine if you ask me.
But if the M3/4 is keeping the weight below that of the e92 and making roughly the same power as the s65 as rumors have indicated then I would have to say that we're getting a better engine with the I6 turbo setup.

The engine alone will carry a significant weight reduction over the outgoing S65. Lower weight + a smaller engine + turbochargers obviously means a quicker and more efficient car.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion on a turbo V8 being a better option based on efficiency alone but what really makes me excited about the possibility of a multi-turbo M3/4 is the aftermarket tuning. It's relatively inexpensive to get an N54 to 400rwhp and if the M division goes all out on this engine as they usually do, I can't see any reason why a 500rwhp+ M3/4 would be all that hard to obtain.

But, I digress. I acknowledge that you are completely entitled to your opinion, I just wanted to throw my opinions into the ring too
I doubt that the S55 will be lighter or even as close to as balanced as the S65 (S65 is shorter with more mass/weight inside of the front wheels).

And.. comparing block weights of an N/A car and turbo car is silly.

It's the peripherals that do the damage; turbos (2+?), a heavy as heck air-to-water intercooler, plumbing, etc... That's where the real damage is done. A 'wet' N54 is much heavier than an S65.

Further, given that this thing will be running a fair amount of boost, I wouldn't be surprised to see an iron block.

Anyway - I'm pumped for this car. It's a fantastic compromise at the hand of very promising technology and cost/volume considerations. It'll be different, after all the S65 and S54 we're extravagant, uncompromising and raw.

Also, to the guy with the 335is that 'screams'... congrats, it's a fantastic BMW...but do yourself a favor and never drive an E46 or E9x M3, you'll wish you spent the extra $5k.

And ignore my sig- my M3 is gone... Shopping for a P-car
Appreciate 0