View Single Post
      10-25-2017, 09:17 AM   #163
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post
During the roundabout turn at the beginning, it is easy to see how much more it rolls when compared to the Merc AMG GT. I am of the opinion that the servo valve tech used in our cars (and presumably the M3 CS) is severely limited when compared to the magnetic dampers most other performance cars use. The center of gravity in our car is also a bit high (around 20in per my estimate). Although the M3 is still the best "sport" sedan by a long shot, a quick drive in a properly sporty car (c7, 1LE SS, 981, 991 etc.) quickly reveals the relatively pedestrian nature of our car.

In other words, if you're hoping for no compromise sports car like thrill from the CS, you will be disappointed. It will still be a wobbly sport sedan at the end of the day. If you don't believe me, just test drive any of the cars I mentioned and you will be a believer.
Fair point but you also have to remember there are limitations to what can be done with a vehicle that is based on a mass production sedan chassis with seating for 5, a big boot, tall glasshouse for better outward visibility, etc - the f80 is not a clean sheet design

The fact that bmw still use a mcpherson strut in an age where jaguar is using double wishbones and an all aluminum chassis on a small sedan also shows the platform is showing its age - skeptics will (rightfully) say the very fact there is a run of new models proves this platform is nearing its end of life cycle as the marketing department ramps up renewed interest ahead of a pending new release

But the bigger issue for me is anyone buying an f80 sedan expecting it will perform, actually rather feel, like a bespoke sports car
Appreciate 0