On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
When cold, or really just whenever 1st gear can be fussy. Take care to not give it too little gas so it doesn't burn the clutch, sometimes if you give it too much it gets jerky in 1st. I tend to engage creep mode in 1st by just giving the gas a quick tap to get the car moving. This is also useful in traffic, it makes the car move at the slowest pace it can without grinding clutch. Creep mode works in reverse too.

Once it's moving in creep mode and out of wherever I parked it I'll deliberately give it a bit of throttle so it doesn't get confused then shift to 2nd at the appropriate rpm.

Your can also just shift to 2ndn from a stop if you prefer.

I prefer driving in manual mode and while it's fun to shift from 2nd to 1st I wouldn't recommend it, sounds like it might be hard on the car, just let the car handle it when in 2nd coming to a stop.

Be careful when down shifting if revs are low as it will shift for you to prevent stall and if you also tell it to downshift you may go from 3rd to 1st which isn't pretty, but you can't money shift it, so don't panic.

you can quickly double or triple tap paddle to attempt to jump gears.

you can hit the kick down button and down shift at the same time and the car will pick the lowest safe gear for you.

Car will roll back on you, but it has a temporary hill hold for two seconds if you have come to a complete stop, touching the gas then disengages hill hold.

The most aggressive drive logic shifting speed can really be jarring when upshifting accelerating at high rpm, this is normal.

In the slowest shift mode it's the most smooth but very lazy if you're shifting yourself.

There will be clunking noises and can be felt.

If in auto mode and sport+ the transmission assumes you want to drive fast and will hold gears at high rpm.

I personally use both the paddles and knob, just using whatever I feel like at the time. During tight turns the knob can be easier to hit than paddle. If stopped and need to make a tight turn you can launch from second instead of first.

If you're having any trouble with jerkyness or in auto with it's gear selection just be more deliberate with your feet so it can better guess what you intent is.
+1. Great post.