United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubjectMatter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mongo View Post
Any update?

I was running some errands last night and this happened to me. Roughly 650 miles on the car, no coding or other mods except a radar detector (using a MirrorTap). It freaked me out, but everything seemed to work fine after-- I never lost engine power or iDrive navigation, only the gauge cluster (didn't notice whether the HUD was involved). I drove around for another ~30 minutes after, and it did not happen again.
Sorry for being gone from the forum recently, it's been a busy few months. Here are my updates:

BMW kept my car in SF for another week to diagnose again. The dealership recreated the malfunction and claimed it also occurred on another brand new F80/82 in their showroom. They called me and told me I could take back my car but there was no fix and no estimate on when a fix might be available.

I drove back from LA to SF and collected my car and at the same time I contacted BMWNA to express my displeasure. BMWNA was helpful and reviewed the service history and facts about my car. They made an adequate goodwill payment considering my time and inconvenience but declined to buy back the car.

March 24, I took my M4 in for service at Santa Monica BMW. Originally it was scheduled for a 1-day reprogramming to correct the firmware issue but they ended up keeping it for 4 business days. Apparently the reprogramming kept crashing so it took the regional service engineer much longer than anticipated.

I got my M back and noticed that some of the presets were still there (M buttons and profile settings still active) and only the basic presets were overwritten. I find that strange since they said it'd be a full reprogram, but can't tell if it means anything. According to BMW the car is repaired.

I received a PM from another forum member in the UK and BMW bought his car back because of the same issue...

Since I have not experienced the failure mode here in the greater Los Angeles area I don't have a way to test if my M is fixed. I'm considering a road trip to SF to prove it.
If you want BMW to buy back your car asking them to do so it's not the way to go. And BMW NA is the legal arm of BMW. Once of their main purposes is to CYA.

Hopefully you did do yourself a disservice when you accepted payment from them.

If you want out of your car then find a good LLL and sue them. You put up with far more than I would have!

Best of luck.